Adopt the New Standard in Investment Accounting
Clearwater Investment Accounting for Insurers
Accounting for your investment portfolio is demanding. Clearwater’s insurance accounting solution provides insurers of all types and sizes with daily, audit-quality accounting reports, including reports to support the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows, and Schedule D. These reports include complete audit trail information with flexible assumptions and are supplemented by transaction, income and security detail, general ledger entries, impairment analysis, trading activity, cash flow forecast, tax lots, and more.
With Clearwater’s automated Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) application, you’ll no longer be required to manually enter trades and transactions, aggregate, or reconcile data. Clearwater takes care of the heavy lifting for you by providing you with precise and accurate multi-basis accounting (GAAP, STAT, IFRS, Tax, etc.) information available at your fingertips. Period-end closes are streamlined and calculations, entries, reconciliation reports, write-downs, and disclosures are taken care of.
Unlike other systems, the Clearwater insurance investment accounting solution continuously validates financial values throughout the day and delivers daily independent accounting, performance, risk, and compliance reports off a single integrated database. With our detailed SOC 1 Type 2 bi-annual audit report, it is no wonder why Clearwater is used and trusted by over 300 insurance companies on a daily basis.
Clearwater Investment Accounting Features
- Multi-basis accounting
- US GAAP
- UK GAAP
- and more
- Accounting for a variety of asset types:
- Structured products
- Fixed income accounting
- Bank loans
- Money market instruments
- Flexible accounting assumptions, applied consistently across all investment portfolios
- ASC 325-40 (FAS 91) amortization adjustments
- Cash equivalent time period (SSAP 2)
- Multiple amortization methods with automated controls
- Multiple inventory relief methods
- Support for different investment classification: Available for Sale, Trading, Held to Maturity
- SSAP 43R / ASC 320-10-35 (FAS 115-2) impairment analysis reporting
- Support for complete Schedule D investment statutory reporting needs, including notes and supplemental interrogatories
- Entries, detail behind entries, roll-forwards, disclosures, holdings, income, and transaction reports
- NAIC pricing and designations
- NAIC SVO Third-Party Administrator
- Support for Solvency II and IFRS reporting
- Daily reconciliation and data validation enables Clearwater to deliver month-end and Schedule D reports quickly, for a quick and painless period-end close
- Complex calculations – every item is calculated at the tax-lot level, driven off of Clearwater’s security master detail
“Based on the solidity of the data we are pulling from Clearwater, we know that we don’t have to depend on data from asset managers or our custody partners to help us with impairments. It’s a massive leap forward.”
– Bret Myers, Assistant Treasurer and Head of Investments, Group Health Cooperative
Benefits of Clearwater Investment Accounting
- Transparent: Single, consolidated view of all investment assets
- Accurate: Investment data independently aggregated, reconciled, and validated daily
- Efficient: Offload the tedious period-end close cycle and manual processes, including data entry and reconciliation
- Detailed: Quickly drill down to the individual security and tax-lot level
- Flexible: Custom date ranges, portfolio views, entitlements, and benchmarks
- Integrated: Accounting, compliance, performance and risk reporting in one solution
- Timely: Intuitive, web-based interface that is updated daily and is accessible anytime, anywhere
INTERESTED IN A LIVE DEMO?
See for yourself how Clearwater’s breakthrough solution can work for you.
With Clearwater, you’ll have access to fully reconciled insurance investment accounting information on a daily basis, month-end statements and reports that tie-out, a full suite of Schedule D reports (including tax-lot level details), automatic Schedule D import files for your annual statement software, and automatic/customized entries (including your GL codes). Clearwater is committed to staying up to date on the latest accounting guidance and standards updates, and to providing clients with automatic solutions to changing regulatory reporting guidance.
Learn More About Clearwater's Accounting Standards Updates
Regardless of the number of legal entities, portfolios, investment managers, or custody banks, Clearwater aggregates, independently verifies and confirms investment portfolio information daily. Clearwater can be your complete investment book of record, delivering transparent, integrated, and actionable multi-basis and multi-currency accounting reports and portfolio management analytics. It provides CIOs, treasurers, CFOs and accounting teams with views at individual portfolio, composite and aggregate levels, allowing drill-down functionality to individual securities and lots.
“You need the flexibility to account for your portfolio in your own way, versus the way the provider has decided to do it. That allows you to dictate the investment policy and get buy-in from auditors on your own terms.”
– Laura Fisher, Managing Director, Silicon Valley Consulting Group
Learn More About Clearwater GAAP Accounting Functionality
Clearwater provides daily, audit-quality GAAP accounting reports, daily balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows for portfolios and aggregates. Learn more about Clearwater GAAP Accounting